Matt 27 is the climax of the clash between the Pharisees and Sadducees, on the one hand, and Jesus on the other. This climax includes the death and burial of Christ, but today we stressed the rest of the story. They are still eager to accuse Jesus (cf. v.12-14), they have envy coming out of their evil hearts (v.18) as even Pilate can see, and they view Jesus as the antichrist before and after His death (v.42-43 and 63-64). They need Jesus and so do you. He saw to the work of covering sins with His death. And His Spirit can transform you from envying others to having good intentions and a good will toward others, and from eagerness to accuse others to a deep self-examination, and to see Jesus as the Christ.
- God Justifies the Ungodly (Genesis 11:27-12:9, Romans 3:27-4:25) March 12, 2020
- Christmas Isn’t Over Yet (Matthew 2:1-12) December 29, 2019
- The Living Water and the Holy Spirit November 10, 2019
- Blood and Water November 3, 2019
- Genesis 1 & the PCA: A Reply to Bill Peacock November 1, 2019