Matthew 22:15-46 is a war of words over the Word of God. We all have questions about the Word of God that we would like Jesus to answer but the Pharisees and Sadducees had much more sinister intentions. Ultimately the Scriptures are about the person and work of Jesus Christ. Thus in answer to the controversy over paying the tax of the denarius the point is that Jesus is the very image of the invisible God and His work is one of renewing His people in the image of God. And in the encounter with the Sadducees, the point is that Jesus is the bride-groom of the church and His work is one of purifying her to be His virgin bride. And in the final contest with the Pharisees, Jesus is the Lord of David because Jesus is the Lord of Lords and King of Kings and if David was the man after God’s own heart how much more so was this the case for Jesus who died for His neighbors’ sins. Jesus is the King who conquers hearts. These three themes are all connected because they are all about total devotion to God. Rendering ourselves to God because we are being renewed in His image. Loving Jesus as our only husband. And loving the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, and mind and your neighbor as yourself. TOTAL devotion.
- An Alternative Advent Annoucement: Bouncing Baby Boy Born (Luke 1:57-80) December 13, 2020
- An Alternative Advent Joy (Luke 1:39-56) December 13, 2020
- An Alternative Advent (Luke 1:5-25) December 13, 2020
- Overcoming Spiritual Sluggishness (Revelation 3:1-6) November 22, 2020
- Return on Investment (Matthew 25:14-30) November 15, 2020